Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mind Your Manners!

 

Link Here

Instructions Victorian Manners

The words of Queen Victoria, “We are not amused” are the wrong ones to use when discussing McCord Museum’s online role-playing game.  It’s fun graphics and cute voices are entertaining as you click your way, maneuvering the etiquette of the Victorian era.  All the character’s voices sound like Beaker from the Muppets.  Somewhat high pitched… “Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi” for the ladies, and lower… “Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah” for the gentlemen.

 

 

 

A Fancy Ball

 

You start off by picking a character (I picked the girl, just because I am one) and then clicking on different scenarios on a map.  This particular one is of going to the ball.  You’re given four pictures of different attire that you may or may not wear.  You then must pick which is the most appropriate for the particular occasion.  Lucky me, I picked right!

 

 

 

Questions

Then, you’re given different scenarios.  Many of the ones I got were about acting like a proper lady in the presence of a gentleman, train etiquette and proper table manners as a hostess.  It’s reminiscent of the “Choose your own Adventure” books I read as a kid.  Except, instead of having a different ending for each option, there’s only one right answer.  and if you get it wrong…

 

 

 

 

Cannonball!

Something funny happens!  In this frame, my character is getting cannonballed for not picking the right attire to a dinner party.  I got run over by a horse one time when I picked the wrong answer, and another time when I made a social faux pas my virtual game friends kept saying what sounded like “Oh my gosh… oh my GAWSH” while my character spoke her her Beaker-esque voice.  It’s all quite charming.

 

 

 

Picture of politeness

Finally, if you pass all the tests with the acceptable amount of points (you get points for correct answers, and you lose points for incorrect ones) you’re graded.  Today, I was a “picture of politeness.”  How lucky!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is quite possibly one of my most favourite games I’ve found so far, and I’m glad to start off with it.  The graphics are simple and fun, it’s easy to navigate and can be used as a learning tool with children between the ages of 11 and 16.  However, I found it really fun and played it quite a few times before stopping and saying “No Miss B.  You must go to sleep!” so maybe that cap number is inappropriate. 

Although not difficult to navigate, a couple of the questions were a bit tricky, so be careful when you answer them!  You might get run over by a horse and buggy!

 

Mind Your Manners – Game Link

 

Recommended Age: 11-16 or All Ages (with maybe some help from a Big Kid)

Difficulty:

Two

Fun Factor:

 Trois

I didn’t want to give a fun factor of 4… although this may change later on.  It’s a pretty awesome game.

 

Happy Learning!

Miss B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment