Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Math at the Mall. Math even Miss B can do (ish)!

I haven’t done a math post in a while (or a post for that matter.  I totally thought I had published this post.. but there it was, sitting in my drafts!), and even though I really haven’t had much time recently (hoorah!  Four essays!) I’m doing a game review instead of the simple video that would suffice for a post, but leave me with a feeling that screams “you lazy bum”.
And so, I bring you the Math Mall game.  Math that is useful in every day life!  It’s really cool, I could even do it!  I didn’t use a calculator.  I used pen and paper, but not a calculator!
Link Here
Nobel001

The rules.  Nice and simple.  There’s four stores at the Mall and you have to solve all the puzzles without the computer giving you the answer before going to the next store.  You can’t go back immediately to the store if you don’t win the game, you have to go to the rest of them (for good practice) before going back.




Nobel002
The toy store!  Here, you’ll learn about taxes.  How to calculate them etc. etc.


Nobel003


Look!  You can pick and count out change! and exact amounts!  Hoorah!  In all honesty, Miss B needs all the practice she can get!

Nobel004
At the Happy Hamburger, you learn to calculate tips!  How much to leave for how much you paid for!


Nobel005


Just a clip of the mall map.  Look, I’ve already completed two games!  I have two gold coins!  Whoopie!


Nobel006

The ever present question, which is the best deal for gym membership.  Ahh.. math is present in everything.

Nobel007


At the bank, we learn about how much interest is earned when depositing money! 
Something I need to learn.  Once I start earning money…


And after the SECRET CHALLENGE…


Nobel008

You Win!!




Just make sure of two things:
1)  that when typing in how much money you are using you use $150.00  NOT $150.  They kind of call you on that.
2) Have fun!
To be honest, the graphics were a little sub-par which kind of didn’t make me too fond towards this game.  But the content is good, and the repetition sticks in your mind which is goooood as gumdrops for learning.
MATH AT THE MALL – LINK HERE
Recommended Age – Grade 7+ (seeing as I still need the practice!)
Fun Factor
Un
Difficulty Level
Four

Miss B

No comments:

Post a Comment