Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How Miss B. Grades

I was thinking, how do I grade these games and sites I look at?  Maybe I should write an informative post on how I grade things.  Just to be clear so there’s no one sitting there thinking “will this REALLY be appropriate for my child(ren)?”

Here, folks.  Are my answers. 

I grade on three levels.  Recommended Age, Difficulty Level, and Fun Factor.  I encourage feedback.  If you think that the grading is wrong, tell me!  I’ll listen and adjust as needed.  I’m freewheeling that way. I’ll break it down for  you.

Recommended Age: Instead of breaking it down into numerical age, I’ve suggested different grade levels that may be best appropriate for the particular site or game.  I considered classifying the different themes and topics within the British Columbia public school curriculum.  If I  had gone this route for example, I would have highlighted the Mummy Maker specifically under Grade 7.  However, since the game is comprehensible for children in grades below 7, I picked what I saw as the most appropriate grade level for the site.  Younger children may need help from Big Kids, and older children may breeze through and find it disinteresting.  In either instance, your feedback is greatly appriciated, taken into account, and factored into my grading system.

Difficulty Level: This is based solely on the difficulty of the content, and the maneuverability of the site.  The more difficult to comprehend the material (how things are worded and the ease in which the instructions are written), the higher the Lightbulb Level.  The easier to maneuver (eg.  No weird codes, button clicking, mouse moving theatrics) the lower the level.  I rate both these on a scale of 0-4 then average and round the numbers.  It’s about the most math savvy I get.  Or am for that matter

Zero

One

Two

Three

Four

Fun Factor: No mathematical formulas here.  If I find it fun, then it gets a higher Thumbs Up.  If it’s not as fun, lower thumbs up.  This is JUST MISS B’S OPINION.  If I get more feedback, I will happily adjust the Fun Factor.  My Thumbs Up is not the final answer.

None

Un

Deux

Trois

Quatre

 

With love,

Miss B

No comments:

Post a Comment